A new paradigm for keeping up with your online world is about to begin:
Genieo, Personalized News Stream Platform.
Today, Genieo Innovation reveals the public beta version of Genieo, the first fully automatic newspaper styled homepage, featuring personalized news and information matched to the reader’s interests.
Genieo is a super useful desktop application (particularly for Windows platforms) marks a new era in information consumption - "Mashup Personalization".
I would like to share with you a sneak-preview of our technology and product.
First Look at Genieo
Ever imagined a place where all of your web content is tailor-made and automatically filtered for you, including your favorite news, blogs, videos, and even your Twitter and Facebook stream updates?
Genieo is a newspaper styled homepage, featuring personalized news and information matched to the your interests, looking as if it was especially designed for you.
Offering a new informational experience for all Internet users, Genieo adapts to your online behavior, saves you time and helps discover items of interest to you, all in a process which requires zero management and where your information remains completely private.
Genieo is shifting the paradigm for the consuming online content, from search to an automatic personal assistance. While both search and personal assistance depend on understanding user indentation, the automatic personal assistant paradigm works on your behalf while it derives user intent without any real conversation with the user, simply by learning his online behavioral patterns instead of just a set of keywords.
What does it look like?
The user receives items of interests that are filtered into numerous categories of content:
1. Top Headlines – These are latest headlines from a user’s most visited news portals, irrespective of topic.
2. Hot Items – Topic-focused. These include the items most read by other internet users. Also, Genieo delivers to you the most-read and popular news articles on topics of interest to you, beyond the news portals and blogs that you most frequently visit.
3. Follow-up items to previous news articles that you have read, so that you won't miss updates on stories you care about.
4. Up-to-the-minute updates on live events (i.e. sports, technology conferences, presidential speeches, award shows, etc) that a user is following.
5. Interesting Items – These news items combine the site-focused and topic-centered items, sending you the items of high interest to you from your most frequently visited sites.
6. Facebook and Twitter updates filtered to cater to your most recent topics of interest.
The Technology Behind Genieo
Genieo is a desktop application that identifies user interests based on browser activity. Genieo has pioneered a new technology called Micro-Behavioral-Targeting (MBT), which continuously studies each individual user, follows his specific topics of interest as they form and evolve, and accordingly forms connections with sources across the web most relevant to the user's interests. For example, a reader who is recently following the latest news about baseball player Derek Jeter would be updated not with general sports stories, or all articles about baseball or even all news about the New York Yankees, but with updated news relating to Jeter himself, that would range from news sites, blogs, tweets, and more.
Without using the Semantic Web standards, ontologies or dictionaries, Genieo automatically identifies and constantly updates topics of interest – so the user doesn’t have to predefine his topics or set categories. To do this, Genieo auto discovers RSS feeds while the user browses the web and ranks those sources based on his/her interests. Genieo then automatically manages those sources for the user (opt in/out from feeds) based on the individual changing interests.
Unlike other personalization solutions, Genieo does not collect or share any private information. As a desktop application, Genieo’s entire mapping and profiling process is performed solely on the user’s computer, and for the first time, you can enjoy personalization engine that does not involve any server side interaction. This way the user's private information remains always with the user, and none of it is shared in anyway with any third party or anywhere on the web. In addition, Genieo respects secure content and automatically disables itself once a user navigates to secure sites.